Page 156 - Leelanau Pages 2020
P. 156

Helpful Housewares, Fine Foods & Great Gifts
• Wine Accessories • Tabletop • Barware • Cuisinart • Corkcicle • Emile Henry • Wusthof • Govino • Cherry Republic • OXO • Kuhn Rikon • Nordicware • Swiss Diamond • Lodge • ECloth
207 St. Joseph Ave., Suttons Bay . . . . . . . . . . . . . 271-6895
In 1912, Herbert F. Boughey and Gilman M. Dame purchased a 200-acre tract of land about three miles sour of Cathead Lighthouse from John and Kate Kennedy. The plan was to start growing cherries on a grand scale. The initial planting of 14,000 Montmorency cherry trees was begun in 1`912 and completed on April 25, 1913.
The orchard became known as “Cherry Home,” the world’s largest red tart cherry orchard. More land was purchased later and additional trees were planted, making it a total of 15,5000 trees.
Gilman N. Dame was a Dairy and Food Commissioner for the State of Michigan under Governor Chase Osborn. In his travels he became acquainted with Francis H. Haserot of Cleveland, Ohio, who was in the wholesale grocery and canning business. They talked about cherries and Haserot became interested enough to come and investigate the quality of fruit grown in this locality. He bought into the partnership and eventually Boughey’s interests in the partnership were dissolved.
In the beginning work in the orchard was done with horses, lots of hand labor and, before long, a couple of tractors.
The following news appeared in the Northport Leader in 1916: “There is a probability of a canning factory being established in this vicinity this coming season. The parties interested are Cleveland people. Mr. G.M. Dame has indicated that it is to be built on the lakeshore near the Alfred Purkiss place.” Later: “Work on the canning factory is being pushed, machinery will be installed the first of July. All indications point to a bountiful crop of cherries.”
A corner of the cherry orchard came very near to Grand Traverse Bay. The factory itself was built as close to the water line as possible, with a warehouse and a deep water dock so fair- ly large ships could be accommodated. Almost all supplies came
in by water, and the finished products left in the same way.
Just north of the cannery a store and post office with a dormi-
tory built over it were erected. In the cannery’s first season, the women who worked there lived in this dormitory. A truck picked them up in the morning and took them to the plant. They worked at sorting cherries and at filling the ans with cherries by hand. The cannery had cooking and dining facilities, so the women had their meals there, too. Next season, a dormitory was built over the dining area at the cannery and the help needed in processing the fruit stayed there.
One year the fish tugs stopped with fish and the cannery canned the,. Lawrence Satterfield, the factory’s first manager, put a stop to that because it smelled.
Dormitories for help needed during the cherry picking season was provided. They had at one time been barracks at Camp Custer in World War I. They were shipped to Northport, including all of the plumbing fixtures, and hauled out to Cherry Home on sleighs in 1922. They could house 150 pickers. Meals were cook- ing in the basement, and the pickers could eat there. Mr. and Mrs. Chet Vannetter cooked there for many years.
In the beginning most of the harvesting was done by local help and teenage boys and girls from Grand Rapids and other Michigan cities. Later one migrant help came and during the Depression many unemployed persons picked cherries.
During World War II Jamaican pickers were employed. One season, 200 boys from the State Vocational School in Lansing came to pick cherries. They arrived on six Greyhound buses. The boys stayed at Cherry Home in the dormitories. Mrs. Charles Baumberger, Mrs. Peter Clausen and Mrs. Albert Steele cooked breakfast and support for the boys.
— Excerpt from “A History of Leelanau Township” by the Leelanau Township Historical Writers Group
© Leelanau Pages 2020
Grandma Lin’s Ice Cream Parlor
116 N. St. Joseph Suttons Bay ------------------ 271-0330
497 E. Harbor Hwy. (M22) Maple City ---------- 228-6422
The Pine Cone
6588 Western Ave Glen Arbor ------------------- 334-3555
Wares Brothers Frosty Treat
13000 W. Bayshore Dr. Traverse City ----------- 946-0053
Insect Control
10625 S Dazell Rd. Traverse City ---------------- 228-4669
Insulation Contractors - Cold & Heat
Alpers Insulation LLC
345 E. Welch Ct. Traverse City------------------- 946-7450
117 N St Joseph Suttons Bay-------------------- 271-3623
(See Our Ad On Page 39)
6669 W Western Avenue PO Box 247
Glen Arbor ----------------------------------------- 334-3022
(See Our Ad On Page 40) Environmental Risk Managers
311 E. Hywood Ln. Leland ----------------------- 256-2122 Farm Bureau Insurance - Scott Peterson Agency
13709 E. Carter Rd. Traverse City --------------- 932-7180
(Continued On Next Page)
Falling Waters Lodge
200 W Cedar St. PO Box 345 Leland------------ 256-9832
The Northport Inn
109 Nagonaba Street Northport ------------231-386-1600
Vineyard Inn On Suttons Bay
1338 N Pebble Beach Rd Suttons Bay ---------- 271-8463
House Cleaning
See Cleaning - House & Office
Housewares - Retail
6053 S. Glen Lake Rd., PO Box 260
Glen Arbor ------------------------------------231-334-3000
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts
Blue Moon Ice Cream Shop
9032 S. Kasson St. Cedar ------------------------ 228-6350
Dam Candy Store
197 W River Street Leland ----------------------- 256-7766

   154   155   156   157   158